There are so many things to appreciate about chicken. It is a very versatile meat used in cooking around the world working well with a wide variety of spices and side dishes.
You might want to serve it cold in a salad or hot off the grill. Learning to cook with chicken is easy. Producing elegant meals or weekend favorites can be quickly mastered.
Here are a few chicken recipes that are simple to follow and will give you the opportunity to try a few new recipes or perhaps begin your cooking adventure for the first time. Best wishes as you create new meals for your family and friends using these chicken recipes.
Quick Chicken Recipe: Chicken Veronique
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 2 Tablespoons orange marmalade spreadable fruit
- ¾ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup half-and-half
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and melt the butter.
- As it melts, quickly sprinkle the salt over the chicken.
- Cook the chicken for 3-5 minutes at a medium hot temperature on each side until it lightly browns.
- Mix the wine, marmalade and tarragon together in a small bowl. Add this to the skillet. When it begins to boil, reduce the heat.
- Cover the skillet and let the ingredients simmer for 4-6 minutes on both sides. The chicken is cooked when the thermometer reads 170F.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and keep it warm.
- Mix the flour and cream together until it becomes smooth.
- Gently stir this to the skillet and bring to a boil while constantly stirring. Let it cook for 2 minutes or until it has thickened.
- Finally, stir the grapes in and let them heat thoroughly.
- Serve this sauce with the chicken.
Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe: Slow-Cooker Shredded Chicken
- 6 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ cup chicken broth (optional)
- Set the chicken into the slow cooker.
- Mix the seasonings together and sprinkle them over the chicken.
- If using any liquid, pour it into the pot.
- Place the lid on the pot and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Set the cooked chicken onto a baking tray.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken.
The chicken may be used for an immediate measl or frozen in containers or plastic storage bags for future use.
Fried Chicken Recipes: Crispy Fried Chicken
- 4 pound whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- Pour the flour into a large plastic food-storage bag and add the spices. Seal the bag and shake it to distribute the seasonings.
- Pour the buttermilk into a large bowl. Place the chicken in the buttermilk.
- Place two or three pieces of chicken into the flour-bag and shake it well. Set the chicken on a tray or baking sheet. Cover them with a clean dish towel. Coat the remaining pieces of chicken and let them rest until the flour becomes like a paste.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a large skillet until it is about ½ full. Heat the oil until it is very hot and place as much chicken in the as possible. Let it brown on both sides in the hot oil. Once it has browned, lower the heat and put a lid on the skillet. Allow the chicken to cook for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken to drain on paper towels.
- If there is more chicken, turn the heat up and let the oil become very hot again. Repeat the process with the rest of the chicken.
B-B-Q Chicken Recipes: Easy Barbecued Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons paprika
- 2 Tablespoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder (optional)
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in skin on
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- Mix the spices together and coat both sides of the chicken generously. Refrigerate the chicken for at least one hour.
- With a closed lid, preheat a gas grill on high. Let it heat for 10-15 minutes. This will allow the meat to sear and help it release from the grates when it has finished cooking.
- Reduce the heat to medium high after the grill has been preheated.
- Set the chicken on the grates. Cook for 7 minutes. The meat will easily release when it has cooked. If it still sticks, let it cook for two or three more minutes. Turn the chicken and grill on the other side. Remember to lower the lid.
- When the chicken releases after about another 7 minutes, move the thighs over to another section of the grill. Turn off the burners directly underneath the chicken but leave the others on.
- Close the lid and let the meat continue to cook for further 10 minutes.
- Lift the lid and brush the top of the chicken lightly with the sauce. Cook for a final 10 minutes and the chicken should be ready. To be sure, check that the temperature has reached 165F.